Monday 5 November 2007

Microsoft - The Anti-Linux Keyboard

Welcome to LinuxScorecard, Have you gone keyboard shopping lately? Microsoft are a big player in this space, but have you seen what they've started to do with the INSERT key?

Either they find INSERT an affront to humanity, or they are trying to make life hard for the Linux community because they have relegated the INSERT key on their newest keyboards to an ALT position on the PrtScn / SysRq key.

For those who don't know why this matters, think about the linux / unix terminal. Want to copy something? You can't use CTRL-C because that sends and escape command, so you you use CTRL-INSERT instead.. Well I don't even know HOW to do that on a new Micrsoft keyboard.

I just don't see ANY logic here apart from messing with the Linux community. I don't NEED a double sized delete key ( although I understand that it makes CTRL-ALT-DELETE easier for PC users ). Neither do I see the DELETE key as being any more important than the INSERT key.. Backspace, sure, but delete?

Come on Microsoft - you are getting pissy.

As an aside, while looking through the latest keyboards from Microsoft I noticed that they need up to 100MB of free disk space for drivers!!!!ARE YOU F**KING KIDDING ME? In 1982 I was playing chess on a Dragon 32.. a wopping 32k and Microsoft need 100Mb for a mouse and keyboard driver!

No comments:

Post a Comment